PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS 1 WEEK PRIOR TO YOUR PROCEDURE
WICHITA FALLS GASTROENTEROLOGY ASSOCIATES
You MUST arrange a ride for the day of your procedure. You must have a driver to take you home. A bus or a taxi is not acceptable transportation. If you arrive at your procedure without acceptable transportation, your procedure will be rescheduled. If you must cancel or reschedule your procedure, please contact our office at (940) 687-6870 at least 3 business days in advance to avoid a cancellation fee.
Prep Kits are not usually covered by insurances and our office will not do prior authorizations for these. Patients are responsible for the cost of their prep kit. Please contact your physician’s nurse if you have any issues obtaining your prep kit. Your kits were sent to your pharmacy on the day your procedure was scheduled. To prevent issues with kits being held too long and re-stocked on shelves, please pick up your prep within 5 days of when your procedure was scheduled. All prep kits should be picked up no later than 1 week before your procedure.
You may also want to purchase the following supplies:
- Purchase 1 box of Simethicone (generic) / Gas X-tablets (over the counter) extra strength 125mg (4 tablets)
- Baby wipes ( use instead of toilet paper to help relieve irritation)
- A&D Ointment or Boudreaux’s Butt Paste ( to help relieve discomfort)
- Over the counter laxative such as Miralax. If you have a history of significant constipation or have had a procedure reschedule in the past due to a poor prep, you need to take an additional laxative. Take Miralax 3x a day for 3 days before starting your prep.
STOPPING BLOOD THINNERS BEFORE YOUR COLONOSCOPY:
- Stop all blood thinners like Coumadin (Warfarin), Plavix Pradaxa, Clopidogrel, Xarelto, Eliquis, Effient, Pletal, Aggrenox, or Dipyridamole (Persantine). When you scheduled your colonoscopy, our office should have given you the information on when you should stop these medications. If you do not have this information, please call our office and get this information at least 7 days prior to your procedure. Ask your prescribing Dr. for your blood thinner if there is any concern for you stopping your blood thinner for our recommended length of time. If yes, please contact our office and discuss this with your physician’s nurse prior to your procedure.
3 DAYS BEFORE YOUR COLONOSCOPY :
- Stop eating all foods with nuts, seeds or husks – No popcorn, Corn, Sesame, Tomatoes, Potato Skins, Poppy seeds, etc.
1 DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
- Mix your first dose of prep according to the directions in your prep kit
- Take your first dose, at 5 PM the day before your procedure
- 24 hours before your procedure, begin your clear liquid diet. Drink plenty of extra fluids to prevent dehydration.
- After Completing liquid prep, take 2 Extra Strength Simethicone/Gas X-tablets
Gatorade, Pedialyte, Powerade, Smart Water (not red or purple)
Clear broth or Bouillon
Coffee or Tea (no milk or dairy creamer)
Carbonated and non-carbonated soft drinks
Kool Aid or other fruit flavored drinks (not red or purple)
Strained fruit juices (No Pulp)
Jell-O, popsicles, hard candy (not red or purple)
Not Acceptable Liquid:
Red or Purple items of any kind
Milk or non-dairy creamers
Noodles or vegetables in soup
Juice with pulp Liquid you cannot see through
NIGHT BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
- If you take diabetic medications, please hold them night before and the morning of your procedure. Be prepared to monitor your blood sugar closely and drink sugary liquids, if necessary.
DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE:
- If you take diabetic medication, please bring your medications with you to take after your procedure
- Do not take any aspirin on the day of your procedure
- Do not take fish oils, Advil, Aleve, Naprosyn or any other NSAIDS.
- You may take AM blood pressure or seizure medications with a small glass of water
5 HOURS BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE: (prep must be finished within 2 hours)
- Mix your last dose of prep according to the directions in your prep kit and take it before you are scheduled to arrive for your procedure. Keep drinking plenty of extra fluids to prevent dehydration.
- After completing 2nd liquid prep, take an additional 2 Extra Strength Simethicone/Gas X-tablets.
3 HOURS BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
- STOP ALL LIQUIDS
NAUSEA AND VOMITTING:
This can be fairly common during the prep process. If this occurs, you should stop drinking your prep for 30 minutes. Then restart and drink at a much slower pace. The prep, even when vomiting, usually is still effective and you do not have to contact our office. Complete both preps and continue to drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. Your stool should no longer be formed, but clear or light yellow liquid.
If you feel the prep was ineffective, please contact the facility the morning of the procedure.